Thursday, December 3, 2020

11/21/2020 Raven Far From Home

 A flock of birds circled above me, waiting for the carnage to end so they could get their meal. The air was dense, the smell of rain mixing with the smell of blood. It felt like a blanket, wrapping around me and coaxing my body to relax.

A bird broke away from the flock and dove towards me. I realized as she drew closer that she was a raven, black feathers iridescent in the fading light. The light shifted around her, as if she didn’t belong to this world. 

Calm entered my body as I raised a hand to the sky. The Raven landed, talons pressing into my wrist. She turned a beady eye towards me, waiting. 

My fist pressed into my wound, as if that could stop the bleeding. I was light headed from blood loss. Past the point of no return. We shouldn’t have ever been here in the first place, following our foolish king into this war.

The sound of metal clashing felt distant, although it surrounded me. Faintly, I could hear the screams of my brothers falling around me. 

“Tell him...to find me in the After.” I whispered softly. 

The raven scanned my face, and I swear I saw a flicker of sadness in her eye. She opened her wings and lifted from my hand, soaring North. 

Towards home. 

I closed my eyes, trying to draw out my final moments. I inhaled deeply, letting the feel of an incoming storm fill my lungs. 

The first raindrop touched my face as I let my final breath out, feeling the pull of my soul leaving my body.






No comments:

Post a Comment